If you’re a fan of apple pie and pancakes, then this recipe is for you!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Golden Delicious apples— halved, peeled, cored and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup, plus warmed syrup for serving
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup milk
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Farenheit. In a 10 1/2-inch nonstick ovenproof skillet, melt the butter.
2. Add apples, 1 tablespoon of sugar and the lemon juice. Cook over moderate-high heat, stirring occasionally until the apples are golden (about 6 minutes).
3. Add 1/4 cup of maple syrup and simmer over low heat until thickened. Spread the apples in an even layer on the pan and remove from heat.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with baking powder and salt.
5. In a measuring cup, whisk the egg yolks with milk and and remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Whisk the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients.
6. In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites at medium speed until firm peaks form. Fold the beaten whites into the batter and spread the batter over the apples.
7. Bake the pancake in the upper third of the oven for 20 minutes until it is golden and fluffy.
8. Run a knife around the edge to loosen the pancake and then turn the pan upside down to release. Serve with warmed maple syrup.